The fundamental premise I teach is for everyone to use the highest kV and lowest mAs possible, thereby creating the lowest dose to the patient. The first chart you will see has the optimum kV that can be used in digital radiography for both CR and DR. This is true for every vendor except Konica who built their CR system to use 5-10 kV less than every other manufacturer. This means that Konica uses 5-10 kV higher than film-screen and all other vendors use 15-20 kV more than f-s.
Following that are all of the Universal Technique Charts I’ve created for both CR and DR facilities. As you will notice, the CR and Cesium charts have 4 different mAs values associated with them. They are: “Least mAs”, 33% More mAs”, 66% More mAs” and “100% More mAs”. I would suggest starting with the 66% ot 100% More mAs charts. If your images are perfectly diagnostic for your facility and you see from the EI number that you can still decrease the mAs, then drop down to the next lower % chart.
I’ve also included one set of Gadolinium charts as they need more mAs than the Cesium charts. Please contact your vendor if you are not certain which type of DR detector you are using at your facility.
Chart number 40 – Difference Between Tech Charts in mAs” shows the difference in mAs between all 9 of the CR, Cesium and Gadolinium charts
I have also included a special set of charts that compare one vendor’s EI number to the other. These are for CR systems and the charts are titled “CR EI Comparisons Parts 1 and 2″
- 1 Disclaimer
- 6-DR_33 More_mAs_Page_1
- 12 X-Large-2X-Large-DR-LeastmAs
- 13 3X-Large-4X-Large-DR-LeastmAs
- 14 X-Large-2X-Large-DR-33-MoremAs
- 15 3X-Large-4X-Large-DR-33-MoremAs
- 16 X-Large-2X-Large-DR-66-MoremAs
- 17 3X-Large-4X-Large-DR-66-MoremAs
- 18 X-Large-2X-Large-DR-100-MoremAs
- 19 3X-Large-4X-Large-DR-100-MoremAs
- 31 X-Large-2X-Large-CR-LeastmAs
- 32 3X-Large-4X-Large-CR-LeastmAs
- 33 X-Large-2X-Large-CR-33-MoremAs
- 34 3X-Large-4X-Large-CR-33-MoremAs
- 35 X-Large-2X-Large-CR-66-MoremAs
- 36 3X-Large-4X-Large-CR-66-MoremAs
- 37 X-Large-2X-Large-CR-100-MoremAs
- 38 3X-Large-4X-Large-CR-100-MoremAs
- 52-Konica_Least_mAs _Page_2
- 53-Konica_33_More_ Page_1
With the creation of the iSupertech Digital X-Ray Technique Calculator, the technique charts are no longer available for free. Please click on the link to read more about the calculator which has over 160 projections and 11 different vendors for a total of 19,000+ techniques.
All of the Optimum kV, CR and DR technique charts above have been effectively used since 2004. As all Imaging Departments have different standards for mottle, noise and burn, you must check all of your new technique images with your radiologist. Your radiologist always has the final say if an image is diagnostic. Digital Radiography Solutions (DRS) cannot be held responsible for any images taken or passed in your facility.